- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Waterloo, 2016-present
- Sophia M. Libman NEH Professor of the Humanities, Hood College, 2013-2016
- Instructor, Department of Women’s Studies & Feminist Research, University of Western Ontario, 2013
- Instructor, Department of Philosophy, King’s University College, 2012-2013
- PhD, University of Western Ontario (2013)
- Thesis: “Hannah Arendt and Feminist Agency”
- MA, Georgia State University (2008)
- BA with University Honors, Freed-Hardeman University (2006)
Areas of Specialization
- Feminist Philosophy
- Reproductive ethics
- Environmental and animal ethics
Areas of Competence
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Sexuality Studies
- 20th Century Phenomenology
- “Hannah Arendt and Pregnancy in the Public Sphere.” In Feminist Phenomenology Futures. Ed. Helen A. Fielding and Dorothea Olkowski. pp. 257-74. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2017.
- (with Rita A. Gardiner) “Family Matters: An Arendtian Critique of Organizational Structures.” Gender, Work & Organization. Published online first 12 March 2017.
- “Cross-Border Reproductive Travel, Neocolonialism, and Canadian Policy.” IJFAB: International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics 10.1 (2017): 225-47.
- (with Emma Ryman) “The Patient-Worker: A Model for Human Research Subjects and Gestational Surrogates.” Developing World Bioethics. Published online first 13 January 2017.
- (with Patrick Clipsham) “An Anti-Commodification Defense of Veganism.” Ethics, Policy & Environment 19.3 (2016): 285-300.
- “Commercial Contract Pregnancy in India, Judgment, and Resistance to Oppression.” Hypatia 30.4 (2015): 846-61.
- “Embodied Judgment and Hannah Arendt: From Boethius and Huck Finn to Transnational Feminisms.” Phaenex 9.2 (2014): 64-87.
- “The Capabilities Approach to Justice and the Flourishing of Nonsentient Life.” Ethics & the Environment 18.1 (2013): 19-42.
- (with Rita A. Gardiner) “We Welcomers: Hannah Arendt, Rootlessness, and Natality.” Canadian Society for Women in Philosophy, Western University, London, Ontario, October 27-29, 2017.
- (with Patrick Clipsham) “An Anti-Commodification Approach to Research with Animals.” Canadian Philosophical Association, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, May 28-31, 2017.
- “Vulnerability and Moral Responsibility in Choosing Assisted Reproduction.” Canadian Bioethics Society Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec, May 24-26, 2017.
- (with Charlotte Wood) “Gender Busting and Video Blogs in a Feminist Classroom.” #Feminist In(ter)ventions: Women, Community, Technology, Southern Connecticut State University Annual Women’s Studies Conference, New Haven, Connecticut, April 15-16, 2016.
- (with Rita A. Gardiner) “Rights, Responsibilities, and Rootlessness: The Doom of Refugee Status.” Wilson College Humanities Conference, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, February 27, 2016.
- “Reflections on Carlotta Walls LaNier’s Little Rock.” The Arendt Circle, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, April 24-25, 2015.
- “Domestic Implications for the Regulation of Cross-Border Reproductive Travel in the US and Canada.” Feminist Approaches to Bioethics World Congress, Mexico City, Mexico, June 23-24, 2014.
Selected grants and awards
- (with Charlotte Wood) Summer Science Research Institute Grant ($5900), Hood College and the Hodson Foundation, Summer 2015. “Learning the ‘F’ Word: Transformative Learning Experiences in Feminist Philosophy and Theory.”
- (with Anna Kovacsics) Summer Science Research Institute Grant ($6500), Hood College and the Hodson Foundation, Summer 2014. “Gifts between Sisters: Gift Narratives in Commercial Surrogacy.”
Recent teaching at Waterloo
- Puppies, Pigs, and the Polis: Feminist Relational Theory and Animal Ethics (Fall 2017)
- Philosophy & Public Policy (Fall 2016)
- Queer Theory: One Goose at a Time (Fall 2017)
- Gender Issues (Winter 2017)
- Introduction to Women’s Studies (Fall 2016)
Recent teaching at Hood College
- Global Perspectives on Women, Politics, and Power (2016)
- Philosophy of Sex and Desire (2015)
- Doing and Undoing Gender (honors course 2015)
- Adventures in Queer Studies (2015)
- Introduction to Studies in Women and Gender (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Ethical Dilemmas in the Baby-Making Business (2014)
- Professional Ethics (2014, 2016)
- Philosophical Issues in Feminism (2014, 2015)
- Gender and Sexuality (University of Western Ontario)
- Women, Law, and Social Change (with Dr. Rodney Parker, University of Western Ontario)
- Global Business Ethics (King’s University College)
- Business Ethics (King’s University College)
- Critical Thinking (Georgia State University)
Teaching certification and training
- Seminar on Teaching and Learning in Philosophy, American Philosophical Association/American Association of Philosophy Teachers, College of St. Benedict’s/St. John’s University, Summer 2014
- Instructional Skills Workshop, Teaching Support Centre (TSC), University of Western Ontario, Summer 2013
- Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning, TSC, University of Western Ontario, 2012
Student research supervision
- Charlotte Wood, “Gender Busting and Video Blogs in a Feminist Classroom.”
- Grant Gallagher, “Hiding Places: A Survey of Urban Contradiction and Social Struggle in Frederick, Maryland.” Spring 2015. Forthcoming in Proto: An Undergraduate Humanities Journal.
- Reviews Editor, IJFAB: International Journal for Feminist Approaches to Bioethics (2014-present)
- Coordinator, Hood College NEH Colloquium Series (August 2013-July 2016)
- Professional organizations
- American Association of Philosophy Teachers
- American Philosophical Association
- Association for Feminist Epistemologies, Methodologies, Metaphysics, and Science Studies
- Feminist Approaches to Bioethics